Monday 7 January 2013

EI/G4OBK/P Ben of Howth EI/IE-072 11th Jan 2013

This was an impromptu activation of Ben of Howth EI/IE-072 on our way to catch the plane out of Dublin back to Manchester. The summit is the lowest Marilyn in the eastern sector of Ireland.

EI/IE-072 Howth Hill lies on the unusually shaped outcrop above Dublin Bay

The summit lies on the outcrop of land to the north of Dublin Bay and is easily accessible after a short walk to the top from the car. You could also ride to the top on a bike. I found that a tarmac road has been built on the western side of the hill to service the radio facility on the summit. I parked our hire car on the rough track on the east side of the summit and climbed through rough land full of gorse to the top. My XYL Judy remained in the car. If I had continued a little further on the track I could have used a path, and this was the way I came down. On the west side of the hill I found a narrow tarmac road built to service the radio facility on the summit which would take you to within 10 metres of the top, but OS.IE mapping does not show this.

EI/G4OBK/P on Ben of Howth EI/IE-072 at 2.15pm on 11th January 2013
My activation was only just qualified. My equipment was low power (Yaesu VX-170) and my antenna was inefficient,  just a quarter wavelength whip, however I made contact with:

2W0CYM
MW3PZO/P
GW4ZPL
EI4DIB

Thankfully my friends in Wales across the water, were on the air at the right time. My 15 minute activation complete, we made our way back to the nearby Europcar Depot at Dublin Airport to return the hire car and catch our plane back to Manchester.

No comments:

Post a Comment