Tuesday 7 October 2014

G/SC-002 Wills Neck Quantock Hills

A good well trodden  route was encountered walking to Wills Neck
G/SC-002 Wills Neck QRV 1705z - 1735z 2m FM

On my way back to Bristol after the activation of Hensbarrow Beacon and Brown Willy with Geoff 2E0NON, I had enough daylight left to leave the M5 near Taunton to complete a short VHF activation of Wills Neck, another unique summit for me. The weather was now pleasant and much improved from what we experienced on the earlier summits.  

View to Hinkley Point Power Station, Lundy Island and the Bristol Channel from Wills Neck 
I set out from the car park at the end of the lane north of Bishop's Lydeard, grid reference ST180338 at 5.30pm local time. An excellent footpath, part of the Macmillan Way took me to the trig point in 25 minutes were I set up for my 40 watt VHF 2m FM station and vertical dipole antenna at 3m AGL. The take off over the Bristol Channel into Wales was excellent and in 20 minutes eleven stations in England and Wales were logged. 

Sunset and moonrise as I prepared to leave Wills Neck 
Returning to the car I set the satnav to my destination at Bristol feeling hungry. I stopped off en-route at the KFC in Bridgwater for a "classic meal"... 

No comments:

Post a Comment