Friday 23 October 2015

SOTA on Ibiza - EA6/IB-009 Puig de sa Creu

As I usually do before a tour I'd spent hours perusing mapping resources, satellite views and other places for information on the summits of Ibiza. On our first day I didn't want to plan anything significant or demanding as we had all our holiday gear inside the hire car and it would have been a security risk to park it and leave it, not something I would want to do by choice. So I found a convenient summit with a road going to the top of it amongst what appeared to be some villas. It had never been activated before. 
The beach at Cala Llonga - directly only 1 Km away from the summit of IB-011 Puig de ses Terrets
Before this unique activation of EA6/IB-009 we needed some lunch so we drove past the road end to IB-009 the Puig de sa Creu, to the beach community of Cala Llonga. Here we had our lunch, looking out over the beach - with the flank of IB-011 the Puig de ses Terrets right in front of us, which we were to walk to on another day. 
FT-817 - Pico Keyer - Palm Key - battery - logbook - Phone for RRT spotting - working microphone - but not for long...
The drive to the top of Puig de sa Creu took less than 15 minutes from Cala Llonga and yes, there were villa's surrounding the summit and a useful turning point for the car. I set up my station on a wall next to a comms shed and mast. 


There was a pollarded fir tree to fix the pole to and I was quickly on the air on HF. The 30m, 20m and 17m bands were used - I had a link dipole for those three bands and a Yaesu FT-817 radio with a 3.3 amp LiPo external battery. 38 contacts were completed in 38 minutes, all into 14 European countries bar one - VE1WT who lives in Nova Scotia, Canada, who was logged on 20m CW. My friend Roy G4SSH was the first into my Ibiza log. The only UK station worked on the 30m band was M0BKV. I went QRT at 1228z and we drove north to our hotel at Cala Sant Vicent to check in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment